Saturday, October 11, 2008

A tribute to my parents

So I was in Kohl's the other night picking up a present for little Mike. I was at the cash register and I slowly registered the conversation that was happening between the cashier and the lady in front of me. They were talking about how they didn't graduate high school, thinking that getting married and getting a job were more important. (The cashier was quite young and very pregnant.) I was instantly saddened for both of them, but just as instantly gratified that my parents had good expectations for us. Not in any bad way - we didn't have to have straight A's or be perfect children, but we were expected to graduate high school, be respectful to others, go to church, and have a high regard for our family.

As I now struggle to raise my own family, I hope and pray that they don't give me as much trouble as I think I sometimes game my own mum and dad. I thank God every day for the parents I have: that I can call them when I need help or advice or a blessing; that we can laugh to the point of tears and do stupid and fun things together; that they are a strong foundation in my life. I hope I can be the same for my children when they grow up.

I love you mum and dad and I am proud to have you has parents.

1 comment:

*~Petra~* said...

Awww. We do have super duper parents don't we? They are the best. :)