Sunday, October 12, 2008

Rylie and me

So last night Erik and I decided to have some one on one time with the kids. He wanted to take the kids to the movies - I wasn't that interested in seeing Space Chimps (see previous blog for thoughts on watching movies), so he and Tyler went off and Rylie and I had some coveted mommy/daughter time.

I think sometimes Rylie lives a little bit in Tyler's shadow. There have been probably only a handful of times when they have actually been apart, and so she relies on his being there. I love going out with Rylie though. She is such a thoughtful child. As I was getting ready before she and I went out, she was putting all her efforts into making a "project for Tyler". She was concerned that we would have fun without Tyler and daddy.

Well, off we trucked to Wal-Mart, because her choice of events for the evening was going to the store to get a toy. As we circled round the well-stocked toy aisles, she decided on a little plastic pouch with "paint nails" (nail polish) in it. A mother couldn't be prouder - when her daughter chooses the $3.86 nail polish kit as opposed to any of the other overpriced Dora and Barbie toys. (Way to shop sweetie!)

I then took her to Applebee's to get dinner. She and I conversated about the different things to color in her kids menu (whoever came up with those is a pure genius!). After a full kiddie chocolate milk, however, she told me she didn't feel well. I quickly asked for our food to go, not wanting to repeat our last Applebee's experience where I couldn't get Rylie to the bathroom fast enough and she hurled all over the floor by the bar. So we came home, ate our Applebee's and had a mommy and daughter "paint nails" fest, followed up by her dancing while I played the piano (one of her favorite things).

It's nights like these where I remember that family is what matters most. Too often, I am caught up in the day to day stresses of work, not remembering fully my most important job - to raise my two wonderful children. Yes, they can be hellions, but they are my most treasured possession.

Here's to you Rylie - my sweet princess!

1 comment:

*~Petra~* said...

Smiley Rylie, we love you too! You're our little Rylie Roo. :)

(Hey... that rhymed and I wasn't even trying.)

You know one of the things that I love about her? When she says "Ty-lair". It is adorably cute.