Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fish dookey??

**Sorry if this topic will be a bit too much for the faint at heart!**

So last Sunday just before Erik and I were headed up to bed, I went to check on our fish. We have aforementioned fish because I admit it, I was suckered into it by the kids. I really didn't have a choice -- when we were driving home one evening, Rylie told me that she wanted a pet - a dog. Not being a canine lover (or feline, or any type of -line for that matter), I told her no. Both her and Tyler gave me the puppy-dog eyes, clasped hands, and "please, please" most of the way home. Not wanting to disappoint, I suggested goldfish, thinking that they could be pretty easy to take care of. Well, $50 later, we were headed home from PetSmart with five goldfish, tank, and accessories. The kids named them:

- Tiger (for the black and orange one)
- Scrappy Doo (for the black one)
- Fishy (yes, very creative, thanks Rylie)
- Fairy Godmother (actually Tyler's suggestion)
- Monkey Dude (not sure where that one came from)

Well, we are now down to two fish - Fishy and Fairy Godmother. Tiger, Scrappy Doo, and Monkey Dude have all gone to that great big fishy heaven in the sky. (We believe it to be death by water filter.)

Anyway, back to my original story: last Sunday with me checking on the fish. (After only two weeks of fish and already three deaths, checking on the fish has become a nightly ritual.) Well, I did my nightly check-up and realized that Fairy Godmother seemed to have something orange and stringy attached to him, about an adult middle finger long. Upon closer looking, I realized that it seemed to be hanging from where a fish butt could theoretically be. I checked Fishy. He/she also seemed to have something orangy and stringy attached, but only about a centimeter long. I called for Erik - something must be wrong. My initial thought was fishy hemorrhoids or fishy intestines hanging out. As we both investigated (actually more along the lines of staring, not investigation) Fairy Godmother's attachment dislodged itself and floated down to the bottom of the tank. Then it hit us - it must be fish dookey. I honestly didn't think fish pooped, having never witnessed the event myself. But it stands to reason if you feed something, that food will eventually come out - from somewhere.

Well, my two fish have mastered pooping to perfection. I couldn't be prouder, I guess??

Side note: We have gone a whole week without a fish death. Long live Fishy and Fairy Godmother!

2 comments:

MaryBeth said...

I wonder if fish doo doo stinks. Something to think about.

Emma said...

I don't think so. Don't you remember the Bobby's World episode where he sang the song "Fish don't stink! Underwater the fish don't stink!" btw very funny story Jenna