Sunday, September 7, 2008

Babe Ruth (or maybe Baby Ruth)...

Well, with Erik being a baseball coach, it stands to reason that we would sign Tyler up for T-ball this year. We were a little apprehensive about trying the sports route again. (A year ago, we tried him with soccer. He lasted two (not complete) games. He couldn't understand why everyone was trying to steal his ball.) Anyway, we thought T-ball might be a better option as everyone gets a turn to hit and its a teency bit more organized than soccer.

The night before his first game, we went to get him cleats (I know, he's only four, but we just had to do it) and baseball pants. (Thank goodness for Wal-Mart's $5 clearance pants, which slightly justified the forking over of $30 for cleats).

Tyler's first game was on Tuesday and we couldn't have been prouder. Erik picked him out the number 3 jersey. This was apparently Babe Ruth's old number, and with Tyler's team being the Yankees, he thought this was fitting.

As a mother, you are always a little apprehensive putting your child in a sport for the first time. Will he do ok? Will he run off the field crying? Will he get a bloody nose from a rogue ball? However, after the first "inning" those fears were put to rest. Fortunately, the league is quite relaxed and really there for the kids to start to learn about team sports -- everyone gets to hit and everyone gets to run round the bases. I have to admit - my little slugger brought tears to my eyes. Maybe I was just overly emotional that day (a shocking thought, I know), but it was great to see him and his daddy in the field together.


During the whole game, Rylie was a great supporter! She and I sat alongside and cheered, and as long as I continued to take pictures of her, she loved every minute of it. (Thank goodness for digital cameras.)

Needless to say, we think that the T-ball experience may last a little longer than the soccer - he's already gotten through two games!

3 comments:

LEGEND08 said...

CHIP OFF THE OLD GRAND BLOCK!!

*~Petra~* said...

The video is awesome... makes me laugh every time! (And I keep playing it over and over.) That Rylie... she is such a poser :) Cute kids... I think they should have been Collins'!

MaryBeth said...

Ok, I'm trying to get past the whole Yankee thing. Other than that, how fun! Baseball is way better than soccer anyway.